Window Writer

28 April 2010

Notebooks


Writer’s Notebooks

“A notebook is a place to gather what inspires you.”

Today a cloud cover blankets the city and those getting ready for Amsterdam’s Queen’s Day.. The canal dredgers are searching their way through the canals recovering drowned bikes. The crowds are growing in enormous numbers; up to one million will occupy the Centrum. So much activity is spinning around me; everywhere I go I want to remember the scene, the senses, the story – I have this fixation to jot down all the important little details - that is what makes my writings come alive for me. I need to write my inspirations and thoughts before they leave me. I reach for my camera, my Rhodia notebook and I begin my script…. crunching loud racket - splashing murky waves swelling with boats in these 10 fee deep canals – waterways sealed from the North Sea more than one hundred kilometers of canals, 90 islands and over 1300 bridges- bridges lined with horrified tourist shocked at the 6 to 8 foot high pile of rusted dark slim coated steel bikes – tires flattened, twisted, missing, crunched, big bionic orange steel arm plunging unmercifully into the dark waters, the claws open and closing, smells of gasoline, switch of the wind ……details details filling my pages..