Window Writer

24 April 2010

Letter Writing



The Art Of Letter Writing…

“proves to be a faithful friend in your absence”

My collection of letters and cards are one of my most treasured possessions. For me, letters not only serve a purpose in the present, they also stand as our records of “time”, giving us a unique window into the past. Anyone who has ever come across the old letters of parents and grandparents suddenly feel transported back to another time and place; they understand and know well the legacy-leaving power of letters. The longevity aspect of letters - cherished pieces of paper – remains as important as photographs for preserving family history.

Letters are the gifts we leave to our children’s children.

Letter writing for me has been my means of communication to those who are oceans away or to friends and loved ones in an expression of love and support... I do not know of a richer and more satisfying way of getting to know a person, of expressing your feelings or being present with them.

I love fine stationery and all the accessories that goes with letter writing, but modern postal equipment is incompatible with my wax seals and delivery does not offer me optional flexibility.. So more often than not, I am without pen and paper to do my letter writing

Within the silence of my writing space, I often hear a classical symphony of music, as my fingers orchestrate themselves across the keyboard…


“Writing a thoughtful letter is a discipline that stands out as a hallmark of a civilized society. Written with forethought, a well-tailored letter or email often proves to be a faithful friend in your absence, serves as your personal ambassador, and remains an excellent way to demonstrate a godly example. Words and how we use them are important to God (Prov. 25:11).”