Window Writer

28 April 2010

A French Treasure


Rhodia

I am a blank book collector.

Shyly, I admit to my extravagant little secret of collecting blank books. Of late, I learned that Jimmy Buffett collected blank books, and like mine, they too remain blank. Somehow this validates my compilation of all my beautifully hand stitched blank books. There is something mystifying about a blank book that drives my obsession.

But my Rhodia notebooks are quite different. My family of Rhodia notebooks are my “incubators”; they are a safe place to keep the birth of my ideas and a warm place where the seeds of my stories are germinated… where ideas gather and inspire me.

My Rhodia gives me a place to live like a writer, a place to share what moves me.

I fill my 5 x7 graphed-ruled notebooks with flavorful dialogue. I am learning to listen purposefully wherever I go and I am training myself to notice the sensory details around me.

I use my Rhodia notebook, not as a diary, but a notebook to hold what I have noticed and don’t want to forget: they hold ideas for all sorts of writing projects, my muses, quotes and my most favorite, unusual, new and remarkable words... I love words!

I leave the Netherlands after three months where I have filled seven Amsterdam-orange-colored Rhodia notebooks – they will safely travel in my carry-on.

Yes this is my French treasure - a Rhodia notebook: The Rhodia name comes from Rhone, a river flowing by Lyon, that separates the Alps from the Massif Central. The Rhodia logo trees symbolize the two founding brothers of 1932. To this very day, members of the family are working at the company; next year marks their 80th birth of these notebooks.. Thank you Rhodia!

When something stirs inside of you, take out your notebook and write!