Window Writer

06 May 2010

Colors Across The Page



Spilling Colors Across the Page

As the color orange was splashed across the Centrum today I realized the power of color, the profound effect it has on how we feel and the emotional association we tend to have to particular colors.

I love the color black. Which is really the absence of all color.  But for many of us it is our “color” of choice.  It is a color that speaks “notice me but do not intrude” and discreetly lends to a sense of mystery.   Black is also referred to as “Saturday’s color”.

The Dutch’s use of “orange” for Queen’s Day significantly created a celebratory mood and atmosphere for their holiday.  Orange is a social color that expresses energy, and today, it was a pulsating splash to landscape…

I try to be mindful as I walk through food and flea markets and flower gardens.  I am always searching for color descriptions that occupy my mind and surge my imagination. I spend time reflecting on the past, thinking of colors and shades that not only produce emotions, but bring back clear memories..

I attempt to use color in my writings to create the scene and mood.  I believe color adds life to a story: variety, depth and texture.  I enjoy providing a vivid visual journey – painting brilliant hued words across the page, deepening the reading experience. I am often skeptical of overdoing and sometimes struggle to remember that a passing hint of color is sometimes enough to stir the senses and imagination.

…It’s all about laying your palette on the page, and coloring your writings! 

May’s Color is Orange